As a Member of Congress my staff and I may assist you and make inquiries on your behalf as to the status of your case with a federal agency or department. While I can assist you in bringing your case to the attention of the proper officials and guide you through the process, I cannot direct an agency to decide a matter in your favor. The agency must make its decision within the framework of the law and existing rules and regulations.

All state and local issues must be addressed to the appropriate state and local official.  If you are unsure of your state and local Representatives my staff will assist you in obtaining this information.

Please know that my office will do all it can to assist you in all areas possible. However, I cannot intervene with an ongoing criminal investigation or any issue within the Judicial Branch of government.

Requesting Inquiries

In order for an inquiry to be made on your behalf you must fill out privacy release form. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. You will be able to sign this form electronically. 

Please include your address, home phone number and daytime phone number if different from your home. Also please make sure to include a letter describing your difficulties and the outcome you wish as a result of the congressional inquiry.

Online Privacy Release Form

If you are unable to access to the link above, you can download the Privacy Act Release Form. 

For all immigration cases, please complete this form as well

Since federal agency inquiries are initiated from my District Office, please email, fax, or mail your documentation to: 

Congressman Adam Smith
101 Evergreen Building
15 S. Grady Way
Renton, WA 98057
Phone: (425) 793-5180
Fax: (425) 793-5181

We recommend you email or fax the privacy release forms with wet signatures. If you are planning to mail your forms, it is preferred to not use signature required service since we are not always physically available to receive your mail in-person.

For additional information, you may be able to find the answer to your questions at the appropriate agency website. Below is a list of many federal agencies. If you are trying to contact a federal agency and the website is not listed below, contact my office and my staff will be happy to assist you.