I support a comprehensive national security approach, fully integrating and resourcing our diplomatic, development, and defense capabilities. We must execute a national security strategy that counters violent religious extremism and anti-American sentiment, builds partnerships around the world, work closely with friends and allies, and advances programs to create a more just, peaceful, and stable world. This means policies that understand and respect other nations and encourages self-determination, democracy, human rights, gender equality, economic development, and much greater access to education, health care, and jobs. This also means an increased focus on promoting the American values of democracy and an economy that also respects people and cultures.
As Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, I have unique insights into today’s foremost national security issues throughout the Middle East, including the war in Afghanistan, as well as our larger efforts to stop the spread of violent extremist groups and their ideology around the globe. Understanding the need for a holistic approach to national security, I recognize the importance of poverty reduction, access to education, sustainable global markets, diplomatic engagement, and good governance to enable our pursuit of stable international partners.
- Preventing Iran from acquiring or developing nuclear weapons: Supported the multilaterally negotiated Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran, has condemned the Iranian regime’s objectionable behavior, and taken note of the constructive voices in Iran that seek global integration.
- Combating harmful cuts to U.S. diplomatic engagement: I have fought against draconian, misguided cuts proposed in the President’s budget request to Congress, cosigned letters to Secretary Tillerson strongly condemning what can only be seen as an effort to weaken our ability to promote peace abroad.
- Enhancing Peace and Stability in Somalia: Co-led a letter requesting $87.7 million in Economic Support Funds to support the formation of legitimate, durable institutions in Somalia and has continued to work closely with the Treasury Department and community members to find ways to permit the legal transfer of remittances.
- Supporting Refugees: In addition to vocally speaking out against hateful rhetoric towards refugees, I have asked the President to increase the number of refugees who can come to the United States. I have also requested additional funding to help resettle refugees.
- Co-Chair, Congressional Caucus on Effective Foreign Assistance: Adam serves as a co-founder and co-chair of a bipartisan working group focused on highlighting the work of development, aid, and relief organizations and engaged on improving efficacy and transparency
- Building Capacity, Promoting Stability: A strong proponent of organizations such as the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), Adam led a letter asking for $1 billion in funding for the MCC, which uses innovative and effective models to reduce poverty and building sustained economic growth.
- Strengthening Global Health: The United States is uniquely positioned to help strengthen healthcare systems in developing nations. Congressman Smith has aggressively pursued strong funding for programs which support International Family Planning, Maternal & Child Health, the Global Vaccine Initiative (GAVI), Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Vaccines for HIV and Malaria, Tuberculosis Funding, United Nations Population Fund, and Polio Eradication.
For more information on this issue, sign up to receive Congressman Smith’s email updates.
More on International Leadership & Foreign Affairs
|11/19/19||Congressman Smith Statement on State Department Announcement on Israeli Settlements|
|10/24/19||Smith Slams Decision to Abandon the Kurds|
|10/15/19||Congressman Smith Statement on Passage of Hong Kong Legislation|
|10/7/19||Smith Slams Shift in U.S. Policy in Syria, Warns of Implications|
|8/20/19||Smith Readout of Call With the Indian Ambassador to the U.S.|
|4/18/19||Smith Statement on Redacted Release of the Mueller Investigation Report|