International Leadership & Foreign Affairs
I support a comprehensive national security approach, fully integrating and resourcing our diplomatic, development, and defense capabilities. We must execute a national security strategy that counters violent religious extremism and anti-American sentiment, builds partnerships around the world, work closely with friends and allies, and advances programs to create a more just, peaceful, and stable world. This means policies that understand and respect other nations and encourages self-determination, democracy, human rights, gender equality, economic development, and much greater access to education, health care, and jobs. This also means an increased focus on promoting the American values of democracy and an economy that also respects people and cultures.
As Ranking Member of the House Armed Services Committee, I have unique insights into today’s foremost national security issues throughout the Middle East, including the war in Afghanistan, as well as our larger efforts to stop the spread of violent extremist groups and their ideology around the globe. Understanding the need for a holistic approach to national security, I recognize the importance of poverty reduction, access to education, sustainable global markets, diplomatic engagement, and good governance to enable our pursuit of stable international partners.
- Preventing Iran from acquiring or developing nuclear weapons: Supported the multilaterally negotiated Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran, has condemned the Iranian regime’s objectionable behavior, and taken note of the constructive voices in Iran that seek global integration.
- Enhancing Peace and Stability in Somalia: Co-led a letter requesting $87.7 million in Economic Support Funds to support the formation of legitimate, durable institutions in Somalia and has continued to work closely with the Treasury Department and community members to find ways to permit the legal transfer of remittances.
- Supporting Refugees: In addition to vocally speaking out against hateful rhetoric towards refugees, I have asked the President to increase the number of refugees who can come to the United States. I have also requested additional funding to help resettle refugees.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC): Led a letter asking for funding the DRC’s Economic Support Fund to preserve and extend the stability and economic progress achieved in recent years. The letter recognizes the DRC government’s commitment toward security sector reform, pursuit of critical governance and rule of law reforms, and support for strengthening civil society organizations.
- Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC): Led a letter asking for $1 billion in funding for the MCC which has an effective model of reducing poverty and building sustained economic growth.
- I have requested funding and have advocated for programs which support International Family Planning, Maternal & Child Health, the Global Vaccine Initiative (GAVI), and Nutrition, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Vaccines for HIV and Malaria, Tuberculosis Funding, United Nations Population Fund, Polio Eradication.
For more information on this issue, sign up to receive Congressman Smith’s email updates.
More on International Leadership & Foreign Affairs
“Former Director Comey’s testimony today in the United States Senate further confirms the enormous threat posed by Russian interference with our election system in the 2016 cycle and its continued efforts around the world. This interference should deeply concern all Americans, and the need to take measures to protect our democratic system of government should span the political aisle.
“President Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement is a disastrous move that undermines the most significant global climate change agreement to date. Either the President does not understand or simply does not care about the devastating impact global climate change will bring about.
“Each Memorial Day we remember and honor the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country. Our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen are deserving of our utmost respect. America’s freedom and liberty are possible thanks to their service to our country. As Ranking Member of the House Armed Services Committee, I am honored to advocate for our military personnel and their families.
“Instead of proposing a budget that makes available the tools Americans and this country need to succeed, the Trump Administration has proposed a disastrous and ideologically-driven budget that demonstrates this President’s complete lack of interest in or understanding of the realities of governing. The President has doubled down on his earlier campaign promises, and makes clear he wants to limit the government’s ability to improve the lives of working Americans and diminish our country’s role in the world.
“President Trump's decision to fire FBI director James Comey is deeply disturbing. It comes as Comey is in the midst of an investigation into possible collusion between Trump campaign officials and Russian operatives to interfere in the 2016 presidential election. We know the Russians were behind the hacking of DNC emails and that they did so to try and give Trump an advantage in the election.
“President Trump has outlined a fiscal agenda that will overwhelmingly benefit the wealthy, and will likely set our country’s recent economic progress back decades. Rather than focus on expanding broad-based economic opportunities for every American to ensure their health and well-being, President Trump has proposed a budget outline that would result in the largest cuts to discretionary federal programs and agencies in decades.
“I have been a strong supporter of the State of Israel and a comprehensive peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinian territories for a long time. I believe our partnership with Israel and its people is critical and in our national security interests. I have been troubled by the lack of progress on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, from the unresolved and unhelpful settlements and lack of recognition of Israel's right to exist, to the violence that has taken innocent lives on both sides and has unfortunately set back the path towards peace. For the Israelis and Palestinians
“President Trump's latest executive order on refugees and visa restrictions is reckless and runs contrary to America’s founding principles. The President’s second attempt at a travel ban —after his previous order was found to be unconstitutional by two courts—shows a continued disregard for American values and a remarkable willingness to threaten our national security.
Ninth District Congressman Adam Smith will host a Town Hall on Saturday, March 4, 2017 in Seattle. Congressman Smith is looking forward to meeting with constituents and hearing all questions and concerns.
Who: Congressman Adam Smith
What: Rep. Smith is hosting a Town Hall event where constituents can meet and interact with the Congressman and voice concerns on issues of the budget, immigration, education, the economy, national security and more.
When: Saturday, March 4, 2017, 10:00 am to 11:30 am
Although the facts are still coming in, the recent revelations surrounding Attorney General Jeff Sessions and his alleged contacts with Russian officials reinforce the legitimate need for a special prosecutor. There needs to be clarity on what and who the Trump Administration officials spoke to within the Russian government and the topic of those conversations.