It is an honor for me to nominate several outstanding young men and women each year to the United States military academies. The academies provide an excellent education and an exceptional opportunity to serve our country.
The four service academies for which I make nominations:
- the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO.
- the US Military Academy in West Point, NY.
- the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY.
- the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD
U.S. Service Academy Night
In May, my office hosted an event for all interested middle school, high school, and college students residing in Washington State’s 9th Congressional District. We discussed the process to apply and obtain a congressional nomination to the U.S. Service Academies. We hosted a panel of representatives from all Service Academies who shared information about the enrollment process and their perspectives on Service Academies.
Academy Nomination Information
An applicant interested in a nomination to one of the service academies should contact their Member of Congress and both Senators. You should apply to all sources possible, however more than one nomination is not necessary. In addition, you must contact the academy in which you are interested, so they can create your applicant file.
To be considered for admission to a service academy, the candidate must meet the eligibility requirements: scholastic aptitude, leadership potential, character, athletic ability, medically qualified, and a congressional, vice presidential, or presidential nomination. I will nominate 10 applicants for each vacancy at each academy, but the academy will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
- Resides in the 9th congressional district of Washington State
- Be between the ages of 17 and 23 years old
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have not incurred obligations of parenthood
- Be a U.S. Citizen
Applicants whose parents are temporarily stationed at one of the military bases, but maintain legal residence in another State, should apply to the Congressional office from that district. Find out who your Representative is here.
Each future applicant must submit a completed nomination package to my district office in Renton. Please thoroughly read the directions for the submission of your package. If the package is not submitted in the correct format or contains errors, it will be returned to the applicant for correction. If qualified, the applicant will be scheduled for an interview with a panel of retired and active duty military officers. The panel will review each package, conduct the interview, and then forward their nomination recommendations to me for final review. I will then nominate applicants who are the most qualified for appointment.
The completed nomination package will consist of (in order):
- Headshot or portrait photo
- Completed Ninth Congressional District Application
- Resume (include your activities and accomplishments)
- 500 words personal essay explaining why you would like to attend a Service Academy
- SAT or ACT score sheet (test website score print outs are acceptable)
- Sealed, certified copy of your school transcript
- Progress report of the first quarter/semester of senior year (if you’re still in high school)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be from your high school counselor or principal)
Please do not send the required materials separately or to my Washington, D.C. office as it may not be forwarded to my Renton office by the deadline.
We have completed the nomination process for 2022. We will begin accepting applications for 2023 nominations in the fall of 2022. At that time, we will post the Ninth Congressional District Nomination Application to this page.
Each future applicant must submit a completed nomination package to my district office in Renton. Contact information is as follows:
Congressman Adam Smith
ATTN: Military Academy Nominations
15 South Grady Way, Suite 101
Renton, Washington 98057
Frequently Asked Questions:
- My final semester/quarter grades have not been posted; how can I provide my grades?
Our office will accept a current unofficial snapshot of your grades until your official grades have been posted. You can work with our Academy Coordinator to submit your official grades once they’re posted.
- I cannot look at or do not have any access to my letters of recommendation. How can I submit them with my application?
You have a couple of options. You may provide your letters of recommendation still sealed within your application packet. Or they may be sent in separately by the person submitting your recommendation. Note: if they are being sent separately from your application, please have the individual put ATTN: Military Academy Nominations; your name recommendation
- I submitted my application, what now?
You can check in with our Academy Coordinator, Josette Wicker, to make sure it arrived. Watch your email, you will have the chance to select the time slot you would like your interview to be.
Still have questions? Contact my Academy Coordinator, Josette Wicker, at (425) 793-5180 or Josette.email@example.com.