It is an honor for me to nominate several outstanding young men and women each year to the United States military academies. The academies provide an excellent education and an exceptional opportunity to serve our country.
The four service academies for which I make nominations:
- the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO.
- the US Military Academy in West Point, NY.
- the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY.
- the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD
The US Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut does not require a nomination; however, my office can write a letter of recommendation upon request approval.
U.S. Service Academy Night
This event is recommended for all interested high school, middle school, and college students residing in Washington State’s 9th Congressional District.
Webinar Session with Service Academy Panel:
Please join our webinar to learn the process to apply and obtain a congressional nomination to the U.S. Service Academies. We will have a panel of representatives from all Service Academies sharing information about the enrollment process and their perspectives on Service Academies.
Date: Monday, May 3, 2021
Time: 2:00-3:30pm PST
Are you interested in attending a Military Academy but missed our U.S. Service Academy Night and want to learn more? Check out this link to the recorded event! [Link: https://youtu.be/D3lPKWbPcts?t=65]
Academy Nomination Information
An applicant interested in a nomination to one of the service academies should contact their Member of Congress and both Senators. You should apply to all sources possible, however more than one nomination is not necessary. In addition, you must contact the academy in which you are interested, so they can create your applicant file.
To be considered for admission to a service academy, the candidate must meet the eligibility requirements: scholastic aptitude, leadership potential, character, athletic ability, medically qualified, and a congressional, vice presidential, or presidential nomination. I will nominate 10 applicants for each vacancy at each academy, but the academy will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
- Resides in the 9th congressional district of Washington State
- Be between the ages of 17 and 23 years old
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have not incurred obligations of parenthood
- Be a U.S. Citizen
Applicants whose parents are temporarily stationed at one of the military bases, but maintain legal residence in another State, should apply to the Congressional office from that district. Find out who your Representative is here.
Each applicant must submit a completed nomination package to my district office in Renton by October 29, 2021. Please thoroughly read the directions for the submission of your package. If the package is not submitted in the correct format or contains errors, it will be returned to the applicant for correction. If qualified, the applicant will be scheduled for an interview with a panel of retired and active duty military officers. The panel will review each package, conduct the interview, and then forward their nomination recommendations to me for final review. I will then nominate applicants who are the most qualified for appointment.
The completed nomination package will consist of (in order):
- Headshot or portrait photo
- Completed Ninth Congressional District Application
- Resume (include your activities and accomplishments)
- 500 words personal essay explaining why you would like to attend a Service Academy
- SAT or ACT score sheet (test website score print outs are acceptable)
- Sealed, certified copy of your school transcript
- Progress report of the first quarter/semester of senior year (if you’re still in high school)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be from your high school counselor or principal)
Please do not send the required materials separately or to my Washington, D.C. office as it may not be forwarded to my Renton office by the deadline.
All information must be received in my office no later than 5:00pm on October 29, 2021.
If there are extenuating circumstances which merit special attention, please contact my office for guidance. Contact information is as follows:
Congressman Adam Smith
ATTN: Military Academy Nominations
15 South Grady Way, Suite 101
Renton, Washington 98057
Frequently Asked Questions:
- My final semester/quarter grades have not been posted; how can I provide my grades?
Our office will accept a current unofficial snapshot of your grades until your official grades have been posted. You can work with our Academy Coordinator to submit your official grades once they’re posted.
- I cannot look at or do not have any access to my letters of recommendation. How can I submit them with my application?
You have a couple of options. You may provide your letters of recommendation still sealed within your application packet. Or they may be sent in separately by the person submitting your recommendation. Note: if they are being sent separately from your application, please have the individual put ATTN: Military Academy Nominations; your name recommendation
- I submitted my application, what now?
You can check in with our Academy Coordinator, Josette Wicker, to make sure it arrived. Watch your email, you will have the chance to select the time slot you would like your interview to be.
Still have questions? Contact my Academy Coordinator, Josette Wicker, at (425) 793-5180 or Josette.firstname.lastname@example.org.