Military Academy Nominations
It is an honor for me to nominate several outstanding young men and women each year to the United States military academies. The academies provide an excellent education and an exceptional opportunity to serve our country.
The four service academies for which I make nominations:
- the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO.
- the US Military Academy in West Point, NY.
- the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY.
- the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD
The US Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut does not require a nomination; however, my office can write a letter of recommendation upon request approval.
An applicant interested in a nomination to one of the service academies should contact their Member of Congress and both Senators. You should apply to all sources possible, however more than one nomination is not necessary. To be considered for admission to a service academy, the candidate must meet the eligibility requirements, qualify medically, pass an aptitude test, and obtain a nomination from a source authorized by Congress.
- reside in the 9th congressional district
- be between 17 and 23 years old as of 1 July of the year of admission
- not be married
Applicants whose parents are temporarily stationed at one of the military bases, but maintain legal residence in another State, should apply to the Congressional office from that district. Find out who your Representative is.
Each applicant must submit a completed nomination package to my district office in Renton by November 10, 2017. Please thoroughly read the directions for submission of your package, if the package is not submitted in the correct format or contains errors it will be returned to the applicant for correction. If qualified, the applicant will be scheduled for an interview with a panel of retired and active duty military officers. The panel will review each package, conduct the interview, and then forward their nomination recommendations to me for final review. I will then nominate, to the academies, those applicants most qualified for appointment. The completed nomination package will consist of:
- Completed Ninth Congressional District Applicaiton
- Sealed, certified copy of your school transcript;
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be from your high school counselor or principal);
- Resume (to include your activities and accomplishments);
- Personal letter explaining why you would like to attend a Service Academy;
- Recent photograph of yourself;
- Official SAT or ACT score sheet.
If there are extenuating circumstances which merit special attention, please contact my office for guidance. All information must be received in my office no later than November 10, 2017. Do not send any documentation to my Washington, D.C. office as it may not be forwarded to my Renton office by the deadline.